Friday, June 30, 2006

Wish you were here.


Awesome! That's the only word to describe the Roger Waters concert we attended tonight.

Kay had managed to obtain a pair of free tickets to the Marquee in Cork for the above mentioned Artist. Now I can't claim to have been a massive fan of Pink Floyd but I knew a few of their tracks and the ticket was free (well, I am Scottish!) so why not? One of the best decisions I've ever made.

The whole show was amazing from start to finish. The guys performing didn't play their instruments, they caressed and enticed the music out of them. Roger Waters was truly phenomenal, both on Bass guitar and as lead vocal. If this is how the guy performs at 62 he must have been something to experience in his prime. Even when the power went out half way through the gig he wasn't fazed, a true master of his craft.

My only personal disappointment was I only new a handful of his tracks so was unable to completely immerse myself in every song. The tracks I did know, however, were belted out by me with total enthusiasm, though infinitely below the standard of the magician on stage. Shine on you crazy Diamond, Comfortably numb, and Wish you were here were all given the treatment. The finale was fantastic with Roger drawing the crowd on through the Wall like the pied piper leading the children to paradise.

Awesome, fantastic, amazing, none of these adjectives are over the top. I may not have been a big fan before but I can honestly say that tonights performance blew me away and you can bet I'll know every word of every song next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank God James...you are at last getting some good taste in music. Been a long time coming. haha